I was fortunate enough to grow up surrounded by good cooks. My grandmother lived with us and cooked often and well. My mother was also a good cook with lots of specialty dishes that we all loved. But this post isn't about that, it's about what I wished they wouldn't cook.
Hands down, by far, the worst thing cooked in our house was cabbage! The funny (and good) thing is that cabbage tastes nothing like its smell and there is nothing quite like the smell of cooking cabbage. In my child's mind, I can smell two awful smells - the home permanent kit and cabbage!
I seriously can gag now just thinking about it and it has been quite a few years since I have smelled it quite like that. In the pot, the cabbage often turned a waxy yellowish-white color. The texture was surprisingly soft to bite though and the taste, while not my favorite thing, was definitely better than the smell. We cook cabbage now but it's often in the form of sauerkraut, which has a much different smell (still strong but in a better way than boiled cabbage).
So, by far, my fervent childhood wish was that my mother or grandmother would not cook cabbage in the house!

No comments:
Post a Comment